GOP JOBS PLAN FUELS ECONOMIC SURGE
288,000 new jobs created in April alone
BATAVIA – New employment figures from the month of April provide the latest evidence of a strong American economy, and further demonstrate that the Republican Jobs & Growth plan is working.
Denny Hastert and Congressional Republicans worked closely with President Bush last year to pass a Jobs & Growth package delivering tax relief to all taxpayers, and incentives for businesses – and small businesses in particular – to grow, and add jobs.
Democrats ridiculed the plan, and even today some question the strength of the economy. But nearly one year since the bill's passage, employment numbers leave no doubt about the nation's economic resurgence.
The numbers speak for themselves:
• 288,000 new jobs were created in April , according to the Labor Department. When that number is added to March's 337,000 new jobs , it represents the strongest two month job gain in four years.
• 21,000 new manufacturing jobs were created in April , marking three months of increases.
• 1.1 million new jobs were created since August.
• Unemployment dropped in April to 5.6 percent – lower than the average unemployment rate of the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s.
• The economy grew at a rate of 4.2 percent in the first quarter of the year, making the past three quarters the fastest growing in nearly two decades.
• Unemployment has fallen in 44 of the 50 states during the past year.
President Bush and Republicans in Congress, under the leadership of Speaker Hastert, passed common sense tax relief that is creating jobs and moving the economy in the right direction.